Thursday, February 25, 2010

My 1st Trial...Train Cake 101

My son is a HUGE train fan...HUGE! So, I thought I would try my hand at creating a train cake for his birthday. I figured since I am not a cake decorator, I would try it prior to the actual day to see what I could come up with.

I usually don't use a box mix, but when I told my hubbie my aspirations, he came home with a few boxes of cake mix and some frosting. So, I thought...why not!

First, I let AJ do some mixing. I think he did some tasing too behind my back!
No tasting though once the eggs are added. And, yes, I know I should have lightly beaten the eggs first, but my taste tester would not have waited.

Then, I let him pour the batter into the pans.

It took a bit of trial and error in baking times because of the size of the pans.

AJ enjoyed the cooked version as well!

Then, I sliced the tops off to make nice rectangles.

Then, I put on the crumb frosting. This will allow me to put the colored frosting on without all the little crumbly parts.

Then, I used two of the mini muffins to make the smokestack. I also gave them a crumb coating.

 Then, I mixed some blue coloring to the frosting and started to decorate. I didn't really decorate with much other than frosting. I just wanted to see if I could make the shape! It turned out pretty good!
AJ definitely enjoyed it.
Guilty as charged! How can you get mad at that face!

1 comment:

  1. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete