Thursday, February 18, 2010

Chicken Souvlaki Dinner Recipe

I was really exicted to make this dinner because I have wanted to make homemade pita for quite a while. I was hoping it wouldn't be too much work because I didn't start the whole process of making this dinner until 4:00pm and we usually eat at 5ish. So, I started with the pita recipe which I found at Cate's World Kitchen

Here is the recipe:
Pita
2 cups bread flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 tsp sugar
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water (NOT HOT)
2 tablespoons olive oil
 
1. Combine the yeast, 1/4 c water and sugar. Allow to sit for a few minutes until it starts to foam. (Now if it is not a hot day, then start your dryer...just trust me...start the dryer)
2. Add in the remaining ingredients and start to mix. You can do this easily in a standup mixer or you can do it on your own by turning it onto a lightly floured surface and kneading for 10 minutes. Now, put it in a hot place to rise. I put it in the dryer and it rises in like 20 minutes. Just make sure it is nice and hot! (Start Marinating the chicken...check Souvlaki recipe)
3. Once it has doubled in size, fold it over on itself a few times and then cut the ball into 8 pieces. Cover with a damp towel and let sit for 20 minutes. (Again, I shoved in my hot dryer for maybe 10 minutes...they puffed up a bit). Don't forget to turn the over on to 450 degrees. ( Make the tzatziki and start cooking hicken)
4. Roll each ball to 1.8" thick...if you leave it thicker you will have really thick pita. Trust me...1/8" thick! Then, place 2-3 at a time on a cookie sheet and bake in oven for 2-3minutes before flipping. Bake 1-2 minutes on the other side. Repeat until all are baked and then serve.
 
 
3-4 breasts of chicken, sliced thin or chunked
2 cloves, minced garlic
Juice of 1 lemon
1 1/2 T greek yogurt (you can use reg. yogurt if you prefer)
1/4 c olive oil
Salt and Pepper
Pinch of Mint and Oregano
 
Mix everything together and marinate for as long as possible ( I did it for like 20-30 minutes and it was perfect).
 
It is best on kebob sticks and grilled, but since we are out of propane and time is short. I cooked it in a griddle pan.
 
1 small container of plain greek yogurt or about 1/2 c plain yogurt
1/2 cucumber (peeled, deseeded, grated, & squeezed dry)
2 cloves Garlic (yep 2 more cloves..gotta love garlic)
1T lemon (less is more here or your Tzatziki will be runny)
Optional: Add a dash of dill or mint if you have or a shot of Ouzo ( I know...who has that right...yeah, we have like 3 bottles thanks to our Greek customers, so I opted for the Ouzo)
The customary Salt and Pepper
 
Throw it all together and let the tastes meld together in the fridge until you ae ready to serve. Best served cold!
 
 
How do you throw this all together...I serve a plate of pita, a plate of chicken and the Tzatziki. Oh and I had a plate of fixings on the side...you know some lettuce, nice ripe sliced tomato, onion. Make yourself and voila!
 
This wasn't that bad. I managed to get it on the tabel by 5:30 btween cooking, ranging my 2yo and answering work calls. If I can do it, so can you...and it is OH SO worth the work!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment