Thursday, March 22, 2012

Vegetarian Enchiladas

My hubbie and I have finally agreed on 3 meatless nights a week...sweet for me because I am no longer going to have cook 1 meal for the boys, 1 for my hubbie & mom and 1 for me and/or my mom. So, his first attempt is a very mild, easy enchilada.

Veggie Enchiladas

Enchilada Sauce: (you can make & freeze like me or use the canned variety)
1 28oz can of Organic Tomato Puree
2T Chili powder
2t garlic powder
3t Cumin
3t sweetener (agave, sugar, etc...)
1c water

Combine and simmer.

Enchilada Filling:
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 bell pepper (I used roasted red peppers I made the other night)
oil
1 can Organic Black Beans
1/2 bag of frozen Organic mixed veggies
1 small cluster of Broccoli (I put in the food processor to hide it)
2 cloves minced garlic
1c enchilada sauce
1/2c feta
Salt and Pepper

Soft Tortillas
Shredded cheese

1. Saute onions and peppers in a bit of oil. While they saute, drain and rinse the beans. Then, mash about half the can with a fork. Once onions and peppers are tender, add garlic only for a minute (let is smell great but not burn). Then add in beans, pulverized uncooked broccoli :), and frozen veggies to the pan with the onions. Combine together with 1/2c of enchilada sauce and simmer.

2. Heat oven to 400 degrees and pull out a pan for your enchiladas. Put a few spoonfuls of sauce on the bottom of the pan enough to just cover...don't make it soupy. Then, removed bean mix from heat and stir in the feta. Roll up the enchiladas placing seam down in your pan. (I had a small ceramic dish so I did my enchiladas in 2 layers).

3. Cover enchiladas with remaining sauce (about 1/2-3/4c) and put a bit of cheese if you have on top. Cover in foil and bake for 10-15 minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment