Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Organic Way... Oh! Chili Please

I'm Back! After a long hiatus, I am back and ready to start posting again. Life has finally settled down and I can't wait to start sharing all my culinary creations. Many things at home have changed and so has our culinary focus. We are now solely eating organic and avoid all processed foods. I read every label before it enters my home. I have a laundry list of chemicals (aptly named) we completely avoid, but to keep it simple basically if I can't read it, I don't buy it. Now, to preface this...I have not won the lottery and I shop primarily at Whole Foods. For a family of 5 (3 adults and 2 kiddos) I spend roughly $120-150 a week on groceries. I will try to share the pricing as often as possible so you can see how sensible organic can be. So, here is my first new recipe...

Oh! Chili Please!
1 can Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed ($0.89)
1 can White Northern Beans, drained and rinsed ($0.89)
1 can Lime and Chile Refried Beans ($1.19)
1 can Petite Diced Tomatoes ($0.49)
1 box Beef broth ($1.99)
1/2 lb ground Turkey ($3.49)
 1/2 lb ground Beef ($2.70)
1T Chili powder
1t Hungarian Paprika
1t Cumin
1t Garlic powder
1 1/2t salt

***Reminder All ingredients are ORGANIC and all spices are from a local Amish market

In a large pot, brown the meat. Drain and pour in remaining ingredients. Simmer for 15-20 minutes and serve.

Servings: This recipe provided 7 hearty (adult) servings for a total of $11.64, that is ONLY $1.66 a serving for an ALL ORGANIC recipe. Not bad if you ask me!

No comments:

Post a Comment