Sunday, February 26, 2012

2 Meals in One...Meal 1: Zippy Beef Roast

Wegmans had Organic, Grass-fed beef onslae today, so, I picked up 3 lb chuck roasts for about $14.00 a peice. I found a recipe online that I thought I would spin to create 2 nights worth of meals. The orginal recipe uses basically 3 seaoning envelops from the store to create the flavor, but those things are chuck full of all kinds of sodium and chemicals. So, simplified it a bit and it turned out deiciously! Here is my 2-4-1 special!

Crockpot Zippy Beef Roast
2-3lb chuck roast
1 cup Brown gravy with onion
Italian seasoning: 1t garlic powder, 1t oregano, 1 1/2t parsley, 1/2 t basil. 1/4t thyme, 1/4t celery
Salt and Pepper
12 oz jar of Hot Organic Salsa


1. Brown the roast in a skillet (I used cast iron). Remove the roast and place in the crockpot. Saute 1/2 onion until carmelized (Shh! Don't tell my hubbie!), then I removed and pureed (so the big guy wouldn't fuss). In the pan I then, whisked together 1cup beef broth with 2T corn starch. Stired the onion puree back in and let it simmer until it was adequately thick. While thickening, I added my Italian seasoning (instead of the junky dry envelop). Finally I poured it over my beef in the crockpot follwed by the jar of salsa.
2. Cook on low for 6 hours. It should fall apart. I served with potato (and other veggie rounds). Save leftover beef for Meal 2: Zippy Sliders

***This can all be made ahead and frozen also.

Potato (and other Veggie) Rounds: Cut baking potatoes into 1/4" slices. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake in single layer cookie sheet for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees. After 10-15 minutes, add a second pan of sliced zucchini and yellow squash. Again, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake and additional 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake until melted. *you can also add bacon peices her also if you so choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment