Saturday, December 11, 2010

Cranberry Mango Chutney

I have 1 mango left from last weeks trip to the farmer's market last weekend and a 1/2 of a bag of cranberries. I need to use them up before they go bad, so, I was trying to figure out what to do with them. Then, I noticed my jar of raspberry chutney was almost gone...cha-ching! Cranberry Mango Chutney!!! I am hoping that I will have enough to make 2 jars. I would love to include a jar in a holiday gift basket I am making for my family. It would make an amazing appetizer!

Cranberry Mango Chutney

1/2 bag of cranberries

1 medium mango, peeled and diced
1/2 c sugar
2 T cider vinegar
1 t pumpkin pie spice
1/4 t salt
1/2 t ginger (optional)
1/8 t crushed red pepper flakes
1T diced Jalapenos (optional)

1. Put everything in a saucepan and bring to a hard boil. Then reduce heat to a simmer for 20-25 minutes. (Wait for cranberries to pop which will allow the sauce to thicken)
2. Pour into sterilized jars and seal.


Curious how to easily sterilize your jars without buying a ton of canning equipment...
1. Wash all the parts in soapy water.
2. In a small pot of water, boil lids. Keep boiling until ready to use.
3. Please jars on a cookie sheet and place in a 225 degree oven for 10 minutes. Then, turn off heat and leave in warm oven until ready to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment