Sunday, May 6, 2012

Breakfast for a Week is complete

Breakfast in our household is always a bit of a hairy time. The little boy is always hungry and ready to eat right about the same time I am twirling around the house trying to get lunches made and the big boys up and dressed. I know, I know...make the lunches ahead right....well in a perfect world I would, but save the lecture for another day. I am a glutton for chaos. So, I decided in backwards world to make breakfast ahead of time instead. Makes sense right!!!

Make Ahead Oatmeal
(I made a huge batch equaling 6 generous servings...since I share with my little guy)

2c steel cut oats
6c water
a few pinches of salt

Combine in a pot and bring to a roiling boil. Reduce heat and simmer 3-4 minutes. Then, turn heat off and remain covered for 5 minutes or so while you mix the flavors.


The flavor possibilities are endless, here is what I came up with:
Apple Cinnamon: add 1 container organic applesauce and cinnamon
Almond Mango Surprise: Slide up 1 mango (for 2 servings), crush some almonds and add ginger
Nutty Maple Blueberry: 1/4c blueberry, 1T maple syrup, add nutmeg
Date-A-Mon: 1 date chopped, 1t vanilla, 1T coconut flakes, 1-2T crushed walnuts
Nutter-nana: 1T peanut butter or sunflower butter, 1/2 chopped or mashed banana,

The possibilities are endless...so go WILD!

Once you have decided on a few flavors, let's get packing. I pulled out 2 Tupperware containers. While the oats were "steaming" with the cover on, I filled each container with the fixens. Then, spoon equal servings of oats into each container. Cover and refrigerate for the week.  (For us each serving is enough to feed the baby and myself.) When ready to use, just nook for a minute or so with a little extra liquid if needed (I use almond or coconut milk, but water or regular milk works equally as well) Voila...oatmeal for the week is done with a different flavor everyday so no one gets bored. Now...if only lunches were that easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment